South Dakota Spring Snow Goose Hunts
The South Dakota Snow Goose Experience
Join Northern Plains Outfitters, Inc. for your South Dakota Spring Snow Goose hunt of a Lifetime! We have been in business for 13 years and know what it takes to make your Spring Snow Goose Hunt a memorable one. We feature large decoy spreads, electronic calls, comfortable layout blinds and much more. We are Full-Time Guides & Outfitters who hunt for a living! Our Customer Service is second to none and it shows, 80% of our business is repeat clients.
At Northern Plains Outfitters, we are a South Dakota based operation and only hunt within 75 mile radius of the Lodge so our season is pretty short, typically 2 or 3 weeks. We spend countless hours scouting the next great field for your hunt. No one will work harder to give you the opportunity, and we aren’t afraid to pick up and move the entire spread for the next day’s hunt. This, along with extensive scouting and top of the line equipment is what it takes to be successful!
So much of the Migration is weather dependent so the season in our area can last 1 week or 1 month. We average 2 weeks so only a small number of groups can be accommodated during this time. We suggest you book early so you are the first hunters we call when the time comes. The hunt is somewhat narrowed down from March 10th, through March 30th. This can vary by a few days on each end so if is very important for you and your group to be flexible. You are basically “On Call”!
Party size of 6 hunters will allow you to hunt in your own, exclusive field. Groups with less hunters than 6 can reserve their exclusive field for an additional charge. If you don’t have 6, you may be combined with other smaller groups to reach the desired number of hunters in each field.
Northern Plains provides all decoys, blinds, callers, etc. Also provided with our hunts is Lodging. Very few Spring Snow Goose operations provide lodging and it is an additional cost to you. We provide lodging and it is included the cost of your hunt. You will stay in 1 of 4 vary nice lodges that make your time away from the field very comfortable. By offering lodging, you don’t have to worry about where you are going to stay, how much it is going to cost, is the motel full, etc. We have it covered!
South Dakota has no daily limit on Snow Geese nor is there a possession limit. You are allowed to hunt with guns that are unplugged allowing more than the traditional 3 shots. The license cost for the Spring Snow Goose Hunt is: Adult - $45, Youth - $25.
The Snow Goose Hunt
Our day usually starts one hour before shooting time at the Lodge. We depart and head to the field which varies in travel time from 5 minutes to 40 minutes. Before shooting time, we will go over safety and field rules to ensure and great, safe hunt for everyone. Our hunts run from a half hour before sunrise until sun down. We usually take a break from the hunt and head back to the lodge for lunch and a short nap. If the hunters decide to stay you are free to spend the entire day in the decoy spread. At the end of each hunt your guide will make arrangements for the details of the next day’s hunt, you may being hunting in the same snow goose spread if the days hunt was a success, otherwise you may move to a new location
The cleaning of the birds is the responsibility of each hunter. We have a facility at the Lodge for you to do this. All Federal Tagging/Labeling Rules apply before your Geese enter the freezer (We will cover these regulations before you clean your birds). If you do not wish to clean your birds this can be done for a fee of $3/bird, this payment is due at the end of your hunt.
Equipment for Spring Snow Goose
• Decoys – We utilize spread of snow/blue goose decoys vary from 500 to 1500 decoys depending on the time of year, weather, bird patterns, etc. Decoys are typically Sillosocks, Deadly Decoys, Big Foots, and Shell Decoys. Normally all decoy spreads are setup and ready before your arrival but it if there is an unexpected move we need to make, we appreciate help in resetting the spread.
• Blinds – Our blinds vary from Gooseview X-Terminator to Final Approach layout blinds. We use only the most comfortable blinds on the market today.
• Electronic Calls – We use our own Custom Made Electronic Calls. They are very clear and loud and will pull geese in like you have never seen.
What to bring
• Face Cover-Up – Each hunter is required to have either a Face Mask or Face Paint to take the glare off. Birds will flare off of someone who isn’t wearing a mask or cover up.
• Clothing – The weather varies greatly this time of year. Last year we had days in the 80’s and later that week it dipped down to the 30’s. The best suggestion is to layer your clothing so it is easy to shed if the temperature rises. Make sure your top layer is camo that is somewhat similar to a corn field pattern. We also suggest gloves, hats, rubber boots, and even waders. The Spring fields in South Dakota can be a very wet, muddy place and you want to stay as dry as possible.
• Ammo – We suggest a 12 Gauge that is capable of shooting 3” and 3 ½” shells. Please plan 2 boxes of shells for each day of your hunt. If you run out or forget shells, we have shells at the lodge that you can purchase for the same price you can get them at Walmart or any other Sporting Goods store. The best shot size is 2’s, BB’s, and BBB’s with a decently heavy pellet. Winchester XPert Waterfowl loads, with 1 1/8oz. shot doesn’t cut it. We do recommend shooting Quality shells. Don’t buy the cheapest shells you can. It is all relative, you can buy cheap shells, that kill less birds, therefore you have to buy more cheap shells or you can buy quality shells, shoot less of them, and kill more birds. It sounds silly but we have proven it over the years.
• Bird Cleaning – Bird cleaning is the responsibility of each hunter in the group. Birds can be cleaned by the groups at our house, but you have to bring your own supplies. We recommend each hunter to bring at least one box of 1 gallon zip lock bags, a fillet knife. If you do not wish to clean your snow geese, one of our guides will gladly do it for $5 per bird.
• Snack in the field – It is possible that you will spend all day in the field and we suggest you pack your lunch, bring snacks, beverages, etc. No Food is provided by Northern Plains Outfitters, Inc.
1/2 Day Hunt (Morning or Evening) - $160
Day Hunt Only (No Lodging) - $200
1 Day Hunt w/1 Night Lodging - $230 (Arrive the night before the hunt, stay at the lodge,
Depart after the day’s hunt)
2 Day Hunt w/3 Nights Lodging - $460
3 Day Hunt w/4 Nights Lodging - $690
*Rates do not include 5.5% South Dakota Sales Tax and this will be added on when settling the final payment.
*Deposits are $100 per hunter at the time of booking with the remainder due upon completion of the hunt. If we cancel the hunt due to bad weather, lack of huntable birds, etc you will receive a full refund of your deposit.
Call Shannon at 605-380-9971 or email us at email@example.com to Book your 2013 Spring Snow Goose Hunt with Northern Plains Outfitters, Inc.